Monday, March 5, 2012

When Grandpa got sick, I wanted to somehow give him comfort, also while visiting him in the hospital I met a young mother. She was pulling her daughter around the halls of the hospital in a wagon. The little girl smiled and the Mom lovingly touched her little head. You could see the look of anguish in the young mother's eyes. Little did I know, this was my first lesson in how cruel cancer could be. There is never a day when you are given a green light of hope... just repeated days of battle and a will to live. I cried all the way home. I found a website that explained to me about the "6 hour Love Quilt", by Kaye Wood. These lap quilts are made with love and given to the brave warriors. I made my first one that night and delivered to the hosptial the next visit with my Grandfather. I also made myGrandfather one, and my grandmother and after he passed I made many more and donated them to the hospitals cancer unit. It helped me with my pain... and there was lots of it... some days it comes back and that is when I find another person that needs some hugs....which is what a quilt can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment